Beacon Day School is a joyful, stimulating, creative place to be yourself, discover new abilities, and learn about others and the world around us.
- Independent pre-K through grade 8 school founded in 1982
- Current enrollment: 220 students
- In session year-round through grade 5; to mid-July in Middle School
- School begins at 9:00 a.m. for grades K to 5, and at 8:30 a.m. for grades 6 to 8
- Before-school care begins at 7:30 a.m.
- After-school care ends at 6:00 p.m.
- Faculty and staff: 50 full and part time
- Average class size:
- Early Childhood (pre-K): 10 to 12
- Lower Elementary (grades K–2): 12 to 16
- Upper Elementary (grades 3–5): 14 to 18
- Middle (grades 6–8): 14 to 18
- No homework until grade 5
Beacon Day School maintains rigorous learning objectives and a progressive approach to teaching that is responsive to each student’s needs as a unique and capable learner and produces joyful, inquisitive students.
At Beacon, every student studies dance, music, drama, and visual arts. But we don’t stop there. The arts are infused throughout the curriculum to reinforce core academic skills, leadership development, and social-emotional learning.
Beacon Day School is located on the Oakland waterfront, south of Jack London Square, at Embarcadero Cove, directly across the Alameda Park Street Bridge and within easy access off of I-880.